Roundup of February's Pub News
Friday 17 February 2017
- Admiral are again looking for new tenants at the Red Lion Barwell.
- The Red Lion, Earl Shilton was due to reopen on 13th Feb after a refurbishment by Punch.
- The Francis Arms in Stoney Stanton closed on 4th January when the landlord left, nothing else is known.
- The Black Horse at Appleby Magna remains closed until Marston’s can find a new tenant.
- The new licensee at the Elephant & Castle did a mail shot to all the villagers including a free pint for all who came in to say hello. Apparently they had a good response!
- This week The Countryman in Sharnford will be renamed the Bricklayers and be re-launched. They are interested in joining the Discount Scheme giving 30p off a pint to members, and have plans to extend the pub.
- The Dog & Gun, Hinckley has applied for planning permission to extend at the back and to convert the 1st floor into a restaurant. Their first 2 beers were Bombardier and Doom Bar and they are now looking to vary these - possibly including Salopian Oracle.
- In January we visited the Bank in Earl Shilton and although they do not have any real ale at the moment, they do serve 4 real ciders. If trade warrants it they may serve real ale in the future.
- News from just out of our area - The Rugby Tap Room has just been voted Pub of the Year 2016 by Rugby CAMRA for the second year running. It is the town’s only micropub and opened in 2014 serving beers straight from the barrel.
Many thanks to pubs officer Jackie for the update