Waggon & Horses71 Curzon Street
This pub is listed in CAMRA’s National Inventory of Historic Pub Interiors as: “A pub with a regionally important historic interior”. It is a uniquely traditional village local, which is at least 300 years old and unscathed by the passing of time. The unspoiled three-roomed interior consists of a traditional public bar to the right of the entrance corridor, which is the only room with a servery. The public bars unpretentious ambience is enhanced by uncovered quarry tile floor, plentiful photographs showing Ibstock in bygone times and a solid fuel heating stove with stovepipe rising to join the chimney just below first floor level. To the left of the entrance corridor is the door to the lounge bar, with the word Telephone inscribed large across its middle rail, as apparently this room is where the pubs telephone used to be. This room also has uncovered quarry tile floors plus an open fireplace and seating which came from the former chapel next door. The lounge is also known as the snug, but as the locals suppose it to be for those with an unsocial disposition, they refer to it as the Mardy Room. Larger than the other two rooms put together, through the second door on the left, is the pool room with one central pool table and rudimentary fixed bench seating along the right hand side wall. Apparently this room was formally the living quarters, but prior to this, sometime around the 1930’s, it was used as a doctor’s surgery; a splendidly ingenious inducement to motivate persons with Latrophobia (a fear of doctors) to overcome their anxiety. Out back is a partially covered courtyard with timber garden furniture.