Roundup of December's Pub News
- Demolition has started at The Clarendon. Last week the front bar area had gone.
- Another planning application has been submitted for the Red Lion at Pinwall. This time to convert the pub into a house and put 4 new houses on the site of the outbuildings. It closed as a pub in 2012.
- In mid November the former Praha bar reopened as Italian restaurant bar, called Inferno
- Voodoo Lounge seems to have reopened as the Ice Bar and Quartz Nightclub, with opening times of Friday & Saturday 9pm till 3-4am.
The Bulls Head, Stoney Stanton has recently been sold to someone who owns several other pubs, and who is also involved with Elmesthorpe Brewery.
According to its Facebook page the brewery opened in June 2017 and currently sells its 3 beers at the Clifton Inn, Rugby.
- The manager at the Cross Keys in Burbage, (Darren Ryn) left on 8 November; there has been no replacement yet.
- The Lime Kilns is now officially a brewpub and the downstairs room is open for use.
- The Chequers in Burbage closed on 23 October for alterations and was relaunched last Saturday 2 December with new kitchen, cellar and extended restaurant.
- The Red Lion in Sapcote closed on 25 November and is due to re-open on Friday 8 December after a refurbishment which includes a new serving area and bar, new seating in the bar and lounge, new flooring throughout, an overhaul of the toilets, a new kitchen, and new paving, seating and heaters in the garden area.
- The Three Pots is going to be rebranded by M&B from a Harvester to a “Miller & Carter Steakhouse”.
- The Longshoot was closed for 3 weeks in November while Greene King altered and rebranded it as a “Pub & Carvery”.
- Steamin’ Billy opened a new pub on 26 October. The White Horse on Long Street, Atherstone and is being run by Chris Allingham who used to have the Railway.
- Some of you may have seen in the Hinckley Times that The Baron has been given a Platinum Loo of The Year award for the quality of its toilets. Platinum is the highest award category.
- As part of the Leicester Comedy Festival there is an Everards Comedy Beer Tour on 17 February 2018. Starting from Glenfield and visiting 5 pubs including the Elephant & Castle, Thurlaston and the Swan in Newbold Verdon.
From Les: The Kismet Indian Restaurant in Barlestone has been converted back into the Red Lion pub.
Many thanks to our newly appointed pubs officer Adrian for the update. Note: If anyone has pub or club news that may be of interest to the Branch, please contact Adrian on:-
ku.gro.armac.htrowsobdnayelkcnih@reciffosbup or 01455 610932